Well that day has finally come. I am officially the aunt who gives her niece a crazy Christmas sweater.
I had this sweater from my collection of sweaters that I have been wanting to do something with. Since the sweater is felted and has shrunk significantly I wanted to make it into a sweater vest for my niece who is 15.
Here are the steps:
1. Cut off the sleeves, leaving a cap sleeve on the sweater (save the sleeves, we will use these for another project)
2. Find the center of the front of the sweater and cut that puppy right up the center. If you are working with felted wool, you won’t have to worry about un-raveling. Other sweaters, this might present a problem.
3. I used a vintage looking lace and stitched it to both sides of my opening. You could use a sewing machine, but I decided to hand stitch it on.
4. After adding the lace I attached a large vintage button from my button collection.
5. Lastly I added a hook and eye closure under the button to finish the vest.
I thought it turned out cute. I am not sure of my fashion conscious, teen-age niece really liked it, but her 12 year old sister thought it was cute, she was my fashion model. Thanks Tay.